Wednesday, January 28, 2009

And the snow snow snow came down down down

I'm going to try to write every day now. We'll see how that goes.

The snow came as predicted. Snow, ice, all of the above. At 8:00 I heard the laughter and screams of kids sledding outside my window. Despite the fact that it made my apartment colder, I opened my curtains and enjoyed the seemingly warm glow of my apartment.

When I was little, I lived in a big Victorian house that had the old, working radiators. In the mornings, their noise was the sign that the house was waking up. They would hiss and bang and I would run across the cold wood floors in bare feet (or slide across them in socks) until they warmed up. After a day of sledding, we would wobble in and have a mass undressing, laying everything out on the radiators. Everything would eventually dry, stiff and smelling like snow. In the evenings, I would lay pillows on top and lay there until I was almost asleep. Gas heat and electric heat, while sufficient, just don't compare.

My parents were always cool enough to let me have people spend the night if we were almost guaranteed a snow day. We would stay up late, giggly. We would make a tent in the living room, or laugh until my mom had to come in and tell us to be quiet. We lived at the bottom of a giant cemetery hill that was great for sledding. Some people were a little shocked that we would sled there (and this might be a part of my attraction to Tim Burton), but I always imagined that the people buried there liked to hear people laughing and shouting now and then.There was an innocence to it all. Life was simple. I think it would do wonders for companies to allow time for snow days now and then.

Given my current state of unemployment, I'm feeling a snowman (ice man?) creation is inevitable...

While I was planning a similar entry, I think
Mr. Smitley captures the idea beautifully (and
shares his fun, so bonus points!).


*Pictures t/c*

No comments:

 
Real Time Web Analytics