Friday, February 13, 2009

Lots of messed up hearts everywhere

My plans for sleep went right out the window when I found myself awake at 12:20 last night. Here I am, Friday night, almost midnight again, and every intention of getting up 6:30 in the a.m.

The last two days have been marred with Doctor phone calls, visits, research, and forms. So help me if I have to wear one of those paper gown/shirt/nightmares again anytime soon. You say the words "chest pain" and everyone freaks out. One receptionist refused to talk to me and told me to go to the E.R. right away. Another nurse got on the phone and freaked out. I would think that if she was really concerned about me having a heart attack, she should try to avoid upsetting me. No one would listen when I tried to explain that my chest pain *might* be from the intense upper body workout I do at least five times a week. I finally got an appointment today with some very calm, nice people. Several theories, one conversation with a friend, and one heart test later, I believe that I have inflamed cartilage in my rib cage. Aside from that, I seem to be in nearly perfect health, and that feels pretty awesome. Oh, and I could not ignore the irony of having my heart checked, by Dr. Fate, the day before Valentine's Day...

I went to see The Wrestler tonight and I was pretty impressed. I cringed through half of the movie, but I'm still glad I saw it. It wasn't nice, pretty, easy, or happy. It was honest, and ugly, and pretty depressingly real. It's still sinking in, but I have a feeling more entries will mention this movie.

There is more to write, but it's going to have to wait. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and let's be honest: it will inspire enough sarcasm and social observation for several entries. Now, to bed!

2 comments:

Dan Smitley said...

I want to see The Wrestler sometime but i doubt sarah will be into it. maybe sometime we are hanging out we can force her to watch it :-)

pretty sure i would keep going to Dr. Fate as much as possible, if only for all of the jokes.

ktvaleska said...

I've seen Dr. Fate before! I recommend Dr. Boysel, from the same office, if Dr. Fate isn't in.

Interestingly enough, one of my friends recently had a similar problem because she was over-doing the elliptical at her gym. I think you've got the right idea with the cartilage... that was her theory too. Hope it doesn't give you too much trouble!

 
Real Time Web Analytics