Thursday, February 12, 2009

Shared

Today was my "day off". I still work all day, I just don't have any set meetings or scheduled events. I have two of these days every week. I woke up in a state of near bliss at about 7:30 (this is sleeping in in my world). I had plans of a visit to the library, Starbucks, and then a full afternoon/evening of working until my group viewing of The Office and 30 Rock.

A slight delay in getting the day started caused me to leave about two hours later. Still, it was an enjoyable day. A blogger that I follow does "A Day in the Life" entries and I think I might do this sometime, because I think it's always interesting to see how different our lives are. People practically swoon when I say that I started work at noon, but they don't realize that I also worked until 11:00 the night before. While they were getting paid to surf the internet at work, I was reading books on XHTML and how to do taxes as a small business (I'm not kidding, I actually fell asleep).

I turned off my cable this week. It was hard to justify paying $30/month to watch two hours of TV a week. I have yet to miss it. My friend and I were talking to a girl one night when the subject of television shows came up. My friend and I both mentioned that we didn't have cable and didn't really watch TV. The girl got this incredibly serious, confused look on her face, looked at both of us, and said, "But. Like. What do you do?" We tried to explain that we painted, or spent time downtown, or did quite a few other things, but her expression and confusion never changed. It was one of the most priceless moments I've had in a while.

I think my neighbor justifiably hates me. We have very thin walls, so I hear his phone conversations and snoring and he hears my conversations and music. This means that he hears my hip-hop when I get ready in the mornings. I really do feel bad for him because I have some really guilty pleasure songs (um, hey Britney) and he has to put up with those. For instance, tonight he was greeted with: Beastie Boys, Beth Orton, Britney Spears, Fionna Apple and currently, Lykke Li. There could be worse things to put up with, and I think we both spare a little grace.

Part of my day consisted of taking care of a friend's dog (Cleo). When I got to the house, she was napping and was all sleepy and floppy. I took her outside and it was really windy, so she faced the wind and her ears were blowing behind her. Next goal: to find an apartment that will allow me to have my dog back!

It's go time. Have a wonderful (colder, less windy) night!


1 comment:

Dan Smitley said...

I think Sarah and i could live without TV. we dont really watch it as much as we DVR it and watch it when there is nothing else going on.

aw, you watching Cleo makes me miss you watching our cat.

 
Real Time Web Analytics