Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Fall

The parties are over. New music has been added to my library. The cake is still sitting in my kitchen, fork in pan, confetti sprinkles everywhere. And most importantly, a new washer and dryer are humming along beautifully in my less than beautiful basement.

I had a really good and bad weekend, all in one. I got to see my family, which was really nice. My best friend from high school also came into town. It had been years, and nothing had changed. You know you are close to someone when you have comfortable silences, I think. I baked, he sat on the couch, the skies were gray, and we were okay with not talking. Later, he fit right in with all my friends. I was surrounded by the people I was closest to, and I couldn't really ask for more.

The night of my birthday, my Grandpa and fell and hit his head. It has gone from bad, to worse, to better, to worse, all in about three days. It's amazing how so much can be lost so quickly. To add to an already bad situation, this all happened around the anniversary of my cousin's unexpected death only a few years ago. It seems like my birthday and Thanksgiving always involve tragedy. I can change my birthday, right?

I took a long walk yesterday. It was too nice outside not to. Orange leaves are piled high at the edge of yards already. Pumpkins are sitting next to high school football signs. Cats are napping in sunny spots. It even smelled like autumn. I had an impromptu meet-up with a friend at my favorite coffee shop, which was a really nice surprise. I see more walks in my immediate future. Walks, warm drinks, warm blankets, and bubble baths...

No comments:

 
Real Time Web Analytics