Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It takes a while to get there

11:00 seems to be my posting hour of choice. Tonight, Bon Iver is joining me in another tab and I'm really enjoying his company.

Today was a big step in my yoga teaching process: my first practice class. I was lucky enough to have two really great people to work with, and I think we all learned together. It was really interesting to take the step from reading/watching lessons on teaching to actually teaching. Even with my session planned loosely ahead of time I found myself making a lot of it up as I went along based on what they needed.

I was telling my friend about it earlier tonight and we kind of got into why I am so excited about teaching. I, of course, love the practice and know that it has helped me personally. Possibly even greater than that is the connection that is formed with people. People walk into the room after a stressful day at work or home. They are tense and tired, insecure sometimes. They trust you to lead them through these challenging and humbling poses, and by the end of it, they are relaxed, energized, and a little more at peace with the world. In a previous class that I was a student in, I was the youngest person. There were these fabulous older women who had all had kids, worked for years on their feet, run marathons, and had simply gotten older. Every week these women would come in and do this class and it was really beautiful to see them relax and become more confident in their bodies. There wasn't that competition that you get in younger classes - they liked the practice, they liked how they felt afterward. So, letting people leave feeling better than when they arrived is really, for me, one of the best things about all of this.

In other news, I am really considering not getting a "real job". No job is stable right now, and I know one person who is actually happy in their job. One. So, I'm still applying for jobs that I think have the potential to be good, but I don't feel the need to settle for something. The freelance work is actually really pretty steady and I've been loving it. The thought of dropping it now is almost painful. So, I think I am really going to try to make it work, get a part-time job somewhere if I need to, and just keep up the teaching/freelance. Who knows what will happen.

Tomorrow I am taking my first break in at least three weeks and heading out of town. This will involve lots of time in my car with my music, going through hours of fields and then, into the city. I'll be helping my Grandparents and Dad for the day on a fairly daunting task. It could be a rough day, but one can never tell with these kinds of things. Either way, I'll have a nice three hour drive back home to transition. Naturally, it is supposed to snow.

I'll share my love tonight. Enjoy, and have a good Thursday (it's one of the best days of the week!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought i'd stop by here and see what was up...and i think that not getting a "real job" is a great idea, i'm envious of the opportunities you have with your teaching/freelance things, thats a good idea to ride those out for a bit especially with how much you enjoy them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! As far as the job situation goes, " the biggest enemy of great is good"
D.O.D.

Dan Smitley said...

mmm bon iver, love 'em!

i am fairly certain that relaxing would be one of the last things i would be doing if i were to pick up yoga. i am really glad to you have found something that makes you so happy.

 
Real Time Web Analytics