Monday, January 25, 2010

So much music

A music update is way, way past due. My apologies. What I consider to be "concert season" (aka, when the sun comes out) is coming up and this one promises to give last year a little competition. Here's a quick rundown of the shows coming up that I am either going to or considering going to:

January 29: Burglar
I haven't seen these guys live, but they promise to put on a good show. Channeling the days of dark cabarets and burlesque shows, and with some real local talent, I'm really excited to finally catch them!

February 9: Jemina Pearl
I wasn't a fan until I saw her live, but wow was she fun. I may not ever listen to her in my car, but the girl knows how to rock. I'm guessing that this will be great to see in one of my favorite dive bars.

February 20: St. Vincent

St. Vincent is one of those artist that I just can't help but like. Even if I didn't like her, I would still probably try. Maybe it's the whole vintage style, or maybe it's just her eclectic style in general. She'll be playing at a local goth bar, so even if the show disappoints, the venue will not.

March 4: Margot and the Nuclear So & So's

I was devastated to learn that this band had been in town only one day before I found their music. I fell for them immediately and now, a year later, I can't wait to see them live. Check out their single A Children's Crusade on Acid and you will understand completely. Or just watch the clip above and swoon.

March 29: Joanna Newsom

The high ticket price for this show (after Ticketmaster robs you with fees, about $50/ticket) has me doubting I'll be there, but I'm sure it's going to be great. While this is one artist that not everyone can appreciate, I find that her lyrics more than make up for her unusual voice. And hey, kudos for making it big by playing a harp.

March 30: Tegan + Sara
They were on the list, then off the list, and now they're back on the list again. It's taken a while, but I think I've finally come to terms with the new sound on their latest album. Plus, I've always wanted to see them live and I've missed the last three or four shows they played in town.

Tuesday, March 30 - Thursday, April 1:
Cincinnati's MusicNOW Festival

Okay, Cincinnati: who has a music festival in the middle of the week?! I would absolutely hand over the the mere $50 to see St. Vincent, Joanna Newsom AND Justin Vernon (aka Bon Iver) but alas, I am normal and work during the week. To top off the awesomeness of this event, all of the shows will be held in the historic Memorial Hall. So, if you're closer to Cincinnati than I am or have the freedom to just not work, please go and enjoy this for me.

April 5: The XX

One of my favorite new bands of 2009, I was more than happy to find out that The XX would be stopping in Columbus. There might have even been a shriek of joy involved. While I'm not expecting a thrilling show (just watch the video), there is something undeniably addicting about their music that will still give me a concert buzz.

Somewhere in the midst of this concert frenzy I will be heading to Coachella, but that requires an entry all its own...

2 comments:

Mj. said...

Hahaha, the bassist in The XX looks exactly like my little brother. I showed him this video at Christmas and he was like "That guy doesn't look anything like me...well, maybe a little...holy crap, IS that me?" Awesome. Could they be any more stoic?

Gia Cobbis said...

Hello! Just blogspotting. Great blog! I bookmarked it.

Happy blogging! :)

 
Real Time Web Analytics